December 28, 2005

Taste bites of 2005

Time for the lingering 'mouth watering' moments of 2005 :-)

Herez a few that I can remember...

(1) The best Indian Buffet that I have had in the us
The credit shd go to Gandhi restaurant in Las vegas..truly the best Ive had. The
first time, was when I went there in 2000 and the last, a few months back, this
year. They have only gotten bigger and better.


(2) Best dosas I've had..
LA's Annapurna - Panneer Burji Masala Dosa..
If you havent had it so far, go for it. You wouldnt regret it

Houston's balaji Bhavan
Pav baaji Masal Dosa...
This was another that I was very skeptical in the beginning, but turned out to
be real good.

(3) Best sea food.. Sichuan from the sea @ PF Changs
Go for all three mixed together (scallops, callamari and shrimp)
For a veg to say that, and that too, to like sea food is in itself a big deal.
But this is awesome. Next time you go there, try this.

(4) Best Naan..
This has to go to the Punjabi restaurant on Devon street in Chicago.
Nobody' elses' comes close..sher E Punjab. Thats what it is called!

(5) Best biryani
Cant remember the exact name of the restaurant
But I guess itz a paki restaurant again on Devon st, some garib niwaz or
something like that..


(6) Best Pasta
barnelli's pasta bowl in Schaumburg, a suburb of Chicago..
Try it and you will know why.

(7) malabar restaurant
Not sure itz still open. The last time I heard, I was told that it has been
closed.They had some very good keralite dishes. Located in Mountain view, CA.

(8) Ethiopian Restaurant
Therez one in Tempe, AZ where I live. Havent had a chance to taste that many Ethiopian restaurants, but this one is awesome. More the reason why I dont understand the dislike for the cuisine by my friends. Guess itz called Blue Nile.


(9) Best Parantha..
ah..cant take my mind of the small dungy place we had in my undergrad. Chidamabaram. Guess the place was called AA or AAA restaurant. either one...:-)
But till date, I havent seen a place that serves better parathas, or the side dish
that they used to give.(Egg chutney) . Gosh..Im drooling already...

(10) Best Drink
Dr.pepper...hehe...For totally personal reasons

So whats yours!!

14 comments:

Thanu said...

Since u deleted the previous post, hence my comment got deleted. So posting it again.

Great list. Hope to see more of topt 10 list. What is the name of the mountain view place?

Thanu said...

U mean Karaikudi?

Bhole said...

Kokila's Kitchen in San Jose gives you the feeling of Maa ke haath ka khana :)

Ginkgo said...

I thought it was called malabar..or chettinad special...

something like that..

Is there a rest' called karaikudi?

Ginkgo said...

kokila's kitchen :-))
haha...interesting name..

havent heard of it b4..:-)
will try next time..

Rays Of Sun said...

Wow!!
LA's Annapurna - Panneer Burji Masala Dosa

Makes my mouth water..did not read aage:(

Rays Of Sun said...

Uske liye pehle CA jaana padega;(

Ginkgo said...

sure...what stops u, ROS :-)

Thanu said...

I know what stops u ROS, CA aaja

Archana said...

The one place you mention in the bay area is now closed? Sigh :-(!

Ginkgo said...

actually therz another italian place in downtown frisco...cant remember the name of it..

I'll find out when I get ther during new year...

aruna said...

The one which topped my list this year is the 'Lobster Ravioli' from the Italian restaurant located inside the Hyatt next to the Mc. Energy Covention center in San Jose.

Two days we went there, 3 of us, had the same dish, and I believe this will repeat during our trip in Jan '06 too..

Arun, Thanks for visiting my blogs & Happy New year !

A Motley Tunic said...

How come no Thai?? Me loves Thai. Bestest ever is in Madison, WI called Vientiane. The service is pathetic ( but still we used to eat there quite often), but the food is awesome.

There is Lemon Grass in Cincinnati, their Spicy Thai fried rice is too good.

Next on my list is Udipi Cafe here in Cincinnati. They recently included Gobi Manchurian Indo Chinese style to their menu. Amazing, took me back to our own chinese restaurants in Chennai.

Pasta Pomodoro, I think in dwontown SF has good pasta.

Enuff..all this making me hungry.:-(

educatedunemployed said...

All this sounds so goooood.
But I am the biggest fan of my own no-particulary-great chicken the most!!!..:p
I believe I have come to your post before the 'foie gras' rings a huge bell.But I didn't comment because of the huge guilt of loving non-vegetarian food.:)
Thanks for stopping by at my blog.See ya around.Cheers!