December 14, 2005

My First Email..

It seems a long time ago...guess happened around 93-94.

I was a virtual novice then, on 'www' and other than writing programs or playing games., I had no other use for the computer.

Guess that was the first time I created an account in Hotmail.

Never ever sent email before that..and when my friend made me sit on his comp @ home and explained how to go about it.To cut it short, he finally said, "This is how u send email.."

I never had one @ home then, was so enthusiastic...and said, lemme go out to one of those browsing centers and send u an email later today..

A few hrs later I left for home, and chanced upon a browsing center on the way back..

So I went in and first time into a browsing center.

The guy asked me if I knew how to go about it.

With a dismissive air, "ofcourse. no big deal. Go help the other ppl"

lolz..little did I realise that my first attempt is gonna be such a 'PIA'.

And so I switched on the system, and cudnt get hold of the 'mini tower' that the netscape icon was then or the 'orbit e' that Explorer was..

Hard as I did try, I dint know what to do..then tried to glance over my shoulder to the next guy.

I shdnt have, as I later realised, the poor guy was still figuring out where to click on the mouse..:-D

Then I did a surreptitious glance at the Net Cafe owner..who gave a wry smile., hit himself twice on the head..which to me meant..

" engenthuda vanthu senthenga neenga laam..saavu kraaki"
translated..
" which part of the universe did u guys drop from.. Morons"

and proceeded to show me an AOL like interface..to open up a browser..

Now now, that was too much for a newcomer. Even in the US,when I first got hold of a AOL CD and used it to connect to a dial up connection, I had trouble for a few minutes figuring out how to use the built in browser..

Any way, now that I'm done defending myself:-), he helped me figure out 'the browser'

so I triumphantly went into hotmail..and proceeded to email my friend..

I typed the email address..and then pressed send.

I panicked when it said, 'There is no subject. Do you want to send a message anyway.'

Making sure that the cafe owner wasnt watching, I cancelled it., and proceeded to type some message..

I clicked on the subject and started typing a long message...

I was so surprised by the appearance of the subject bar, but dint want to freak the net cafe guy much more..,

So after finishing my typing there, I sent the message.

Then I triumphantly called up my friend, once I got home and said, "So did u get my message"

He must have been rueing as to why he showed me how to do it., when he got the reply to his question.

All he asked was " So why dint u type anything in the message window. U typed everthing in the 'subject' bar. "

The answer I gave him must have conked out the living daylights out of him..

But thankfully..he dint show it..:-)

And so I take leave here....ppl :-).........


Haan, u wanted to know my reply rite.....:D

Lolz, here u go..


" Ohhhhh...thats wat it was. I was wondering why the 'subject bar' was so small..
just space enough for just one line..I was wondering, cause u showed me a bigger container to type the message. I thought something was wrong with the browser that guy made me use,@ the browsing center."

Needless to say, I dint know there was a scroll button at the very right, which would have taken me to the 'message window'...:-D

NOwwwwwwwwwwww...ppl cut that GRIN... :-|

5 comments:

Archana said...

ROFL :-D! Reminds me of the very first time I had to code in BASIC (yup, that long forgotten programming language). The problem was to find the area of a rectangle. I smartly typed "Write a program to find the area of a rectangle" onto the computer screen and waited for the computer to start coding....:-D!

vi said...

Oh Gi!!!
ROLF to the power of 2!!!
What do you do for a living again :P

vi

D LordLabak said...

ha ha.... :-)

Visithra said...

ehehehhe - thats funny - we started as a bunch so everyone didn't know how to and we learnt by trial and error ;)

Ginkgo said...

lolz @ trial and error...

how does that work:-)