September 14, 2005

Jay Leno or David letterman

Those of you that watch the idiot box late night shd knw what I'm talking..

2 of the most successful late night talk show hosts.

Jay Leno's late night show is one that I really really like to watch.

The year that I had landed here, I had no idea of any popular shows over here.

And the very first time I saw His show, I immediately got attracted to it. The show was novel to me, I hadnt heard of such shows in India then. atleast they werentpopular yet..and this was so refreshing...esp the cracks he took at everyone in power.

To think you could comment on anyone including the president and just get away with it..was like amazing., atleast to me, back then. Had I been Clinton ( heck I would have loved the attention from monica ;-) ), I would have fallen flat at Jay leno's feet and begged him to not make fun of me anymore.

He became the focal point of such a butt of jokes that I really felt for him.

yeh yeh...I did imagine him in the same position that Jackie shroff found himself in..that
flickwith Amitabh and those 3 gorgeous babes..forgot the name of the movie...shuks..
was it boom??????? I forget..

My favourites of his were the Jay walk, when he would sneak by some unsuspecting passer
by,who in the first place was happy to show his/her face on national TV.

To this day, I havent figured out if its made up. I just cant believe some ppl can be so stupid.
But come to think of it, I emphathise as well.

Some time back, I had asked some of my friends, to tell me at the drop of the hat as to who is the VP of India is..and ppl just couldnt name that person. Yeh yeh...that includes me as well :-s
Why else would I ask a question, unless if I dint know...that is ;-)

I even posted on sulekha with a caveat...dont google the answer..

I think pretty few got it on the first try... okee okee..dont back off...I aint asking u yet :-D

That reminds me of one Sve shekar comedy serial in DD- tamil that was quite popular then..
The moment he'd ask that question, every character in that serial would run away hither tither..
I would laugh at it..and then immediately fear would grip me.what if my dad who was also watching it...asked me to figure that out...:-))

I eventually breathed a sigh of relief one day, after watching it for the 10th time, my inquistiveinsticts reappeared on the horizon.I managed to muster the courage and ask him what the answer is...

He was like "there is no one answer to that question...kanna"

Boy..Did I breathe a sigh of relief..!!!

" He does not mention how long each person works or what is the capacity of each person..."my dad went on to explain...but it never registered. I was happy that all my fear of not having an answerto that question so far was unfounded..:))

The question goes like this.. " If 10 ppl work for 8 hrs a day to do a particular job and get it done in 1 week...how long does ittake to for 5 ppl to do the same job?
or something similar to that...:-)

Pretty interesting it used to be.Needless to say, I used to bug the other ppl in my class esp the girls and show of my intelligence to them :-D

Why else would all the girls in the class vote for me to be the leader in the class in the electionsthat were held after that.

That I lost was a different issue, as all the guys realised and ganged up against me and made sure I lostthe election to the other candidate...........grrrr

Boy...this is getting so far away from the topic.

Any way coming back to Leno, he seemed more youthful and vibrant than David letterman.
Letterman, to be fair to him, needs some getting used to. Once that happens, you find him prettyfunny. As good and sometimes even better than Leno.

Once the initial thing wore off, I try to see both as much as possible changing channels, during the ever sofrequent ads.

Letterman is a bit of a sexist. I can picture him being another 'Hugh hefner' of Playboy fame.
Some nerve he has got..that guy..:-)

And almost all oldtimers seem to like him better than Leno....

And I guess itz a queer way for me to find out that Ive stayed long in this country...now that I'vestarted having a preference for his brand of comedy :-)

4 comments:

aria said...

Umm .. No Idea .. but heard of them .. coz Ash appeared on Letterman ;)
But yeah Indian Express had published this kind of thing - long back! They asked the celebrities whos our president n many were clueless.
ffbw

Ginkgo said...

:-)

I gather you can watch them on star world or somewhere.

See if you can. pretty funny and entertaining.

vi said...

Yes, Gi, agree Leno is funnier...since you said Lettermen is an acquired taste, I never gave him too much time!
Although he is kind of right wing...you know what I mean.
I can't believe people are as stupid as he shows them...most be made up

vi

Ginkgo said...

yeh...there r a couple of new faces that are good as well...

But I dont get to watch them much nowadayz..But everytime I watch, itz laughter guaranteed..