January 26, 2006

Call Centers - An American perspective

This was something that happened last week @ my old job..
This American guy...he is a pretty nice guy, was telling me and another colleague abt one his exp with an Indian call center rep.
Apparently, he had a problem with one of his network router stuff and wanted help.
and so it went to someone in Bombay..apparently..not exactly sure where...

So..watever that female said, dint work out for him...and both of them were tired of it.

So it seems this guy told her, maybe there is something u r missing, why dont u get me to someone else or maybe to ur supervisor..

and so all of sudden, acc to him, that is, this lady goes berseck..and in an intimidating tone..
"oh now, u want to talk to my supervisor...eh and complain about me...Nope"


so this guy goes " So where are you from"

"India"

"oh Indian, ..."
at which point she just blew up on him and put the fone down...


Me and my colleague who was also Desi, couldnt control any much more, started laughing big time,
and told him, u probably deserve it man..
He was a very good friend, and ofcourse he knew we were just pulling his leg..

The point was, Wat kind of mentality has been created in India about Brash americans..

Good to see that girl giving it back to him...for watever he said...but the way he told me that, I thought it just slipped out and that he profusely apologised..

That reminds me of another guy, who was talking abt the call centers, and said there is a program that is going to be aired on prime time in the US, wherein participants are paid money to talk dirty to these call centers folks in India..

Apparently this is going to be a reality show..and they are going to have fun at the expense of these call center ppl..

Hmm...wonder what lawsuits NBC is going to face for this stupid show if it does go thro...

Way to go 'New India'.....Dont take it lying down...(any which way...for 'the twisted' minds...that is:P )

4 comments:

vi said...

Gi,
On a very serious note, I am not a fan of the call center reps in India ...so many excuses..."Maam, my computer is slow-my computer froze-my computer crashed", "Sorry maam-I will have to check that I will have to put you on hold for god-knows-how-long, I will have to ask my supervisor-I will drive you crazy"
And they call every freakin day...day and night...I have really had it with them!

I am very patriotic but to be honest...the call center people are just too much...although I try to be patient with them after all they are trying to earn a living and I respect that!

vi

aria said...

I have read in newspapers - a lot abt all this. How they are preparing workers out here to respond to the abuses frm overseas callers. The frustration on the part of Americans is obviously coz of the jobs being offshored. A lot has been said n written abt this too..
I dunno much abt it - first hand.

Unknown said...

ditto to what aria said.

Rashmi.

Ginkgo said...

hmm....true...prolly a beaten to death topic..

guess over the years they sure have learned how to deal with such ppl..