May 04, 2006

America's Possibility Coach

Had an opportunity to listen to this guy..during the opening session of a 2 day session on Testing improvements methodology @ my workplace.

Maybe, on hindsight, I think I would have been one among the very few, for whom, what he said would have really meant something..
Those were the last 2 days @ work for me, after a week of uncertainity regarding my position..

And listening to this guy...was like a whiff of fresh air..

Author of 'How high can u bounce'...this guy was positiveness personified..
and for someone like me, that has a 'dont care attitude' which I wrongly took as a sign of positiveness, whatever he said made pretty interesting listening.

What was interesting about what he said, was that he had a theme for the session.
Normally Opening sessions at any major company, would be a list of whos who and what one expects over the next few days...

Im glad I made it to this session.
Somehow over the last 2 weeks, even when my position@ the company was kinda unsure, I had made it a point that I shd attend the 2 day seminar at any cost, irrespective of what happens @ work.

and I should say, my thought process was right.

Before going any further, if you want to google up..;-) the guys name is Roger Crawford.
Btw, lemme see, how many of u notice this, Doesnt he look a bit like Tom Hanks..:-)

The theme for the session was 'Reaching New Heights'..

and he did touch upon it, every now and then...just like Indian movies do, when trying to fit in their title at some point in the movie or in a song..

But hey..he meshed it up pretty beautifully..

Guess it went on for a little more than an hr..which I thought could have been pruned down a bit...
but it was pretty funny and there were interesting quips every now and then..

He has a physical deformity as well to boot, but what was refreshing was that, having been used to ppl making fun of their disabilities so that others dont..
this guy was the opposite..

He has just a single finger on both his hands..(correct me if Im wrong...as I saw him from a distance) and at the end of it all, was showing a video of him playing tennis with another guy..
Boy..for someone like me, that has a one in 5 chance of serving properly( without, touching the net, that is) and for a fact, he played a longer rally than I manage to play on a regular basis..:-)

But what set the tone for the rest of the day were his poser to everyone..

(1) Where are you coming from
(2) How long have you been there
(3) Where do you intend to go from here..

It made a lot of sense to me, esp cause as I was thinking about quitting my job as the extension offered to me,was taking me nowhere close to where I wanted..and while I was debating, if I should continue to keep the job, while looking for another,,
whatever he said made me make up my mind..

Some of the other gems that he came up with., not necessarily his..which again is immaterial...

Challenges in life are inevitable..Defeat is optional..

Managing your way through failure is less difficult, than trying to maintain success.

In times like these, it is imp to remember that there have been times like these..


Pretty neat...I'm glad that I did hear him speak..
Though I pretty much wanted to go upto him @ the end of it all, and talk to him for a few minutes, I couldnt do so, as I had to rush for other seminars..

I wanted to walk up and tell him " I wanted to see how it is to shake hands with those lovely hands of yours"

Thats actually how he refered to it himself..:-)

If you get a chance to listen to him...please do so..

Motivational speaker..he sure is.....

Keep it up Roger...One day I'll get to shake hands with ya..
and yes play tennis with you as well:-)

pretty positive, aint it ;-)

9 comments:

vi said...

Gi,
All the best hon...about the job that is!
Yeah, seems like an interesting chap...would love to be a part of that seminar :)

vi

Archana said...

Yeah, he does look a bit like Tom Hanks :-)! Hope I get to hear him sometime too!
And hey, good luck about the job confusion!

Shilpa said...

Hey

Good Luck with the job confusion !

Hope I get an oppurtunity to hear him speak :-) he sure sounds interesting.

D LordLabak said...

why are you writing hi-fi, confused/confusing posts these days?;-) Maybe its just me...never mind.

Ginkgo said...

vi,
:-). All the best shd normally be reserved for my mgr..;-)
He is the one that tears his hair @ the end of it all...:P

Arch,
Good luck...u mean more confusion:o

Madsies,
Really..If u have the key, dont hesitate to use it:P


Shilpa,
Good luck again eh;-)


Deepa,
grrr...Lemme go on record...I only confuse..the reverse doesnt work..:-)

jeenu said...

hey Gi
all the best for ur job hunt
it sounds like he an interesting person and a good seminar
cheers
jeenu

educatedunemployed said...

He does look a lot Like Tom Hanks.Glad I read this post.Can do with all the inspiration just about now.Good luck with your job.Cheers.

Archana Bahuguna said...

I went to his site and saw the two videos. He is a great guy indeed and very inspiring. Thanks for this reference.

Ginkgo said...

Jeenu, EE and ARchB...

looks like u did manage to read the full blog....:-)
not bad...;)

Yes he sure was an interesting person..pity cudnt get to talk to him atleast for a min..