July 31, 2005

I sink.......in chinese

Statuory Warning: Contains Anglo - Chinese text"

And so...One more of those School memoirs...And before I forget, Now tht the storm over FFBW is over..Letz start one more with Vi ...:)
by dedicating this blog to her..


This is not one of those High school memoirs...Ther r too many to write..
I wud be flooded with thoughts, jus like Bombay is marooned now..
.


This one was in my Masters...


And so, we had this Chinese proff, who like most other proffs frm there, has trouble communicating in English.


Itz a big wonder as to how they interview and get selected as well..
maybe they accept lower salaries..but thts a diff story..


She made us get to school on a sat, as she had something to discuss abt..


A 3 hr class on a sat morning....yikes....somehow we made it.
I was having trouble focussing and was jus prancin around..and the fact that she is difficult to understand made my choice easier..




10 mins..


15


she was getting fed up with me...and finally..summoned the courage..
"uroan..".(thts how she spells my name)" how many fishes in the
cube.."

"huh..excuse me" I was totally taken aback...

and she repeated that again...this time a bit more slowly...But I heard it the same way still..

Now everyone around were as bewildered, but since they werent in the firing line..they started laughing as well...

She was loosing her cool by now

"Oh cmon..Den u no...how many fishes..iz viry izzey. Cmon sink"
translated as " Dont u know. Its very easy... Cmon think" :-)

It was an manuacturing Engg class and I dint know what fishes and sink got to do with it..

"fishes..fishes...sink sink.." she continued.......

..and so..to cut a long story short..

She finally answered it herself..

"6" said the proff..

We were like...eh..how...do u have a particular size and shape for the fishes..Did u mention how big the cube is..

or iz it like a fish displaces this much amount of water..and u calculated accordingly........

And then, she showed it with her hand, and took a book and showed us

"Think this is a cube..U have six fishes"
and showed the top, bottom and the sides of the book..

"Ohhhhhhhhh....Faces..."
and our own 'fishes' brightened...I mean Faces :D


"wat dij u sink..." asked she...

translated as " what did u think"

"oh nothing..I just dint get it...6 faces u r right" and I sat down..

and so the story goes..:)

No comments: