April 03, 2006

Gmail is a Fraud

I know itz pretty ironic a title after my prev one..

But then,...IS gmail eroding ur privacy..

All Gmail users...Not sure if I have read anything on this before...
But guess, need to have this investigated...

Looks like Google has a software that scans thro the content of emails
and provides sponsored ads on the side accordingly.

I checked a few of my mails..

(1) A dell email with info computers- laptops and batteries
and the ads are similar to that/..
with discounts frm individual battery suppliers..
(2)Checked emails with the word fwd in the subject
Now they know most ppl just delete fwd mails...
and there are no ads for that...

(3) a email frm my friend..with no subject
he asked abt apt details and car details(specifically honda and toyota) in the mail
and lo wat do I get, ads about honda and apt rental agencies..

and this continues..

Man.,..if this is true, these guys are invading privacy..

Something needs to be done about it..

12 comments:

Archana said...

Well, no one is forcing you to use it :-)! What say?

Archana Bahuguna said...

Hey Ginko,

Thanks for visiting .. True, I am on a blogging break, but I do read and write comments :-) so that way your charms are only half working... ;-)

About Google, I really (believe n)hope a great company like that wouldnt be taking such risks on its image unless it can justify it .. I am an ardent fan ..

Cheers!

Shilpa said...

Gmail is just smart. After all it is free ! Like others have mentioned, you have a choice not to use it.

vi said...

Gi...LOL! As everyone else said....no one is forcing you :))

vi

*vi loves gmail!--2.7 gb what more can you ask for?"

Ginkgo said...

Arch and Shilpa
ye, rite...who told u to use it..eh
wat a convenient answer...:-)

thts not the way it shd be:P


The other Archana,
My charms work...will show its true colors when u get back to..as the other archana put it..'full time' business..
:-D


Vi
I m sure Vi loves everything..Is there anything tht is free that she doesnt love:P

Ginkgo said...

madsies..

I DO and I wanna and I will us Gmail:P
But they shdnt read mine:P

Itz like getting free food in temple and then letting the guy nearby take frm ur plate cause its free..:P

Unknown said...

Talking about a shrinking world! This is the other side of technology!

Rashmi.

vi said...

Gi...
Toronto aa tere ku batati hoon!!

vi

Viewer said...

Its a love hate relatonship ... that wht u and google has :)

Ginkgo said...

rashmi,
yeh,..possibly..

Viewer
lolz @ love hate..relationship..
and itz never 50-50 at any time:-)

ChiZaD said...

At least Gmail fought the government more than yahoo, aol, and msn to stop them from reading all of your e-mails, I say if you can figure out what I like and advertise it to me without being a pest, more power to you: as long as you don't give it to the damn bush administration!

rads said...

Gingko,
http://www.lazygeek.net/archives/2005/05/accelerating_the_web_google_is_at_risk.html

Check that link. Lazygeek's written a couple of other articles on the same issue. Is gmail's targeted ads really a privacy issue or are we just turning a blind eye coz Google is everyone's darling?!

Just "google" on this topics and you will see tons of pages of both pros and cons of allowing google to "read" our mails. Frankly, knowledge in itself isn't too dangerous, as much as how it's used.

Happy New Year btw :-)